PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 16:36
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cornish Jack:

In mitigation, my information came from the Air-Britain publication SA100-VZ999. This gives the history of VW817 as:

"RAFFC/114/78 Tyre burst on landing; swung off runway and tipped up, Firq, Oman, 14.01.59".

Now this information comes from the Aircraft Data Card (Form 78) which are quite often less than accurate especially when overseas squadrons are involved.

As a result of your comment, I have done some digging and the answer is as clear as mud!

I started with "Scorpions Sting" the story of 84 Sqn by Don Neate. VW817 is not listed as being an 84 Sqn aircraft nor is there any mention of the accident at Firq in the text.

He does give us a couple of clues:

"In May 1958 the arrival of the first two Beverlys on the station meant a gradual decline of the Valetta flights. Sqn Ldr Bill Talbot DFC and bar writes 'The position of Harry Guile and myself as "joint" COs was grey to say the least. The unfortunate thing was that the Beverlys did not get going for some months due to persistent engine problems. The future of the Valettas was chewed over until it was finally decided to extend their lives in Aden. We were more or less regarded as 84 Squadron "A" and "B" Flights and the situation was finally resolved by the reforming of No.233 Squadron with 84's flight of Valettas, which were eventually retired in 1964 when No.233 Sqn was disbanded".

Later on we get "Sqn Ldr Bill Talbot DFC remained in charge of the Valettas until April 1959 when they were handed over to No.233 Squadron...."

I think you are right about 78 Sqn. I have a reference saying that they reformed in Aden with Pioneers on 15.04.56. Twin Pins followed in October 1958.

To further confuse the issue, "Broken Wings" attributes the accident to 84 Sqn!

So, to recap it would appear that VW817 was still issued officially on its aircraft record card to 78 Sqn. It can't be put down to 233 Sqn because the accident happened before they reformed.

By default, it would therefore have to be an 84 Sqn event although they never officially owned the aeroplane and make no mention of the loss in their history!

Actually, none of this surprises me in the slightest. I was Orederly Officer in Muharraq one day and I was told to go and check 30 Sqn's main inventory. I came back after a couple of hours and filled in the paperwork. I declared them to be 3 Beverleys deficient and 2 Beverleys surplus.

I was told by some po-faced pillock that I couldn't do that. "They simply cannot have lost three Beverleys!!!" I then asked him why it was that I had just wasted my morning on a pointless exercise if he didn't want to hear the truth!

Of course, 3 of the aircraft had been sent down to Aden to keep 84 up to strength and 2 others had been scrounged from somewhere else.

Simples, as they say nowadays.

I should be very grateful if you ever find out who really owned VW817.