PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of owning an airplane
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 14:32
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The person on this forum who has most likely done a full analysis is IO540, if he doesn't crop up here shortly try sending him a PM.
Sadly I rarely add up all the figures in detail - I just make sure I don't have a problem paying for it

I am also sure I have already posted all the figures I could think of, in one of the similar threads. Anyway, I have found an old post of mine...

My direct costs are roughly:

Fuel 42.3 L/hr @ £1.75 = £74/hr (140kt TAS @low level), or
Fuel 35.9 L/hr @ £1.75 = £62/hr (140kt TAS @ FL100-160)

50hr check = £5/hr (I pay an A&P/IA to drive down and help me do it and some extras while we are at it; the main items are £70 for the oil and £15 for the oil filter).

Engine fund = £15/hr (based on a 2000hr overhaul by a top US shop, including £3k shipping by courier; the incremental per-hour saving of flying "on condition" past 2000 hrs is less than £1/hr so I would never do it)

Prop fund = £4/hr (based on a 6 year overhaul)

So fuel is the biggest single thing. It cost me about £400 to fill up after a direct flight from Sardinia (LIEE) in September but there were 3 of us and a ton of junk, and this is not at all unreasonable compared to other forms of transport.

Non-direct costs:

Annual = £3000
Hangarage = £6000
Insurance = £2500 (1000hr+ CPL/IR)

So you are looking at a lot of do$h to fly 150hrs/year, but the marginal hourly cost is less than I can rent a wrecked spamcan for.

I also have a zero-defect approach so if anything goes I immediately order a replacement (from the USA, usually) and get it installed right away. The original is either returned under the exchange price, or I keep it after the repair so I now have a lot of spares on the shelf.

One gets occassionally caught by surpises e.g. the infamous Lyco SB569A crank swap business, which cost me over £10k. I got it done in the USA.

The above are for a 2002 TB20GT. You can see I spend almost nothing on unscheduled maintenance and this is to be expected on a plane under say 15 years, hangared and regularly flown. If you fly something say 25 years old then the unsched maint costs are likely to be very significant (but you could be lucky). I know a man who ran a syndicated C150 and the Annuals on that were £7000! Every year.

There is the odd bit of avionics but one normally works it via an exchange scheme, or ends up with a spare unit. Avionics can be pricey, and is a major reason for syndicates falling apart.

This is a big tradeoff in aircraft ownership... buy new[ish] and pay up front, or buy old and pay as you go along. The advantage of the former is that you get immeasurable benefits: low downtime, low hassle, greater confidence in doing long trips, etc. In aviation there is the balance of hassle v. enjoyment and if the hassle gets too much most people will pack it in.