PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The importance of knowing your aircraft type
Old 9th Sep 2002, 16:28
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YWIW,

I was very lucky as far as the cost is concerned. The guys in France managed to repair the prop, which is much cheaper than buying a new one. The gearbox and crankshaft were both declared "better than new" after being inspected. The total cost was split roughly equally between the prop repair, the cost of shipping the prop to and from France, and the engine inspection, and came to not very much more than the insurance excess.

Because of that, we decided not to claim on the insurance. I was quite prepared to pay the whole cost myself. But my group agreed that this wasn't fair. Instead, they asked me to pay an amount equivalent to the insurance excess, which is what I'd have paid if we had claimed. The rest of the cost, they argued, was a group cost, because the reason that we were incurring the cost was to avoid an increase in insurance premium the next year. So we split the remainder of the cost between us. More than fair, IMHO - like I said, I'd have been more than happy to have paid the whole amount myself.

Still just about enough money left over to buy you a beer, as long as you're buying me one back afterwards of course That's as long as my tax problems work out ok - but that's a whole different story, and doesn't really belong on PPRuNe!

FFF
-----------