PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old and Bold ATCOs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 09:37
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Leopilot

As usual, wise words from Heathrow Director.

Let me tell you a sad story. One of the Watch managers at LL moved into Ops when he was about 57. At 60 his job was advertised, but the 2 or 3 applicants seeking the promotion that would come with the post were not considered suitable. Derek agreed to stay on and boasted that he was the highest paid ATCO in the land, he had taken his pension at 60 and was still receiving ATCO1 salary. Because his father was still alive in his 90s, perhaps DH became complacent. He finally retired at 65 and died a year later. Some retirement!

Leo, I don't wish to be rude, but I think you need your brains tested; what are you trying to prove?

ATC is a young man's game ( and girl's); I always felt that operational controllers should be looking to give up in their early 50s. Management should have filled the supervisory and office posts with guys who had done their 30yrs at the coal face, not the young brown-nosers that seemed to want to pack up after less than 10 yrs on ops!

Retirement is great,time to do what you want,whenever you want! There's a host of interesting things to do after work.

The other aspect of working on past 60, is that of depriving youngsters a chance to get on the bottom rung of the ladder. In other words it's selfish to keep going.

So, come on Leo get a life!