PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane wreck believed to be Earhart
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 09:08
sixtiesrelic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well gents, the fact that the Yanks said it wasn't one of theirs when the serial numbers were forwarded to them after the wreck was found during the war, sort of discounts a US service aircraft.
It wasn't an Aussie military or Civilian aircraft either.
It was unpainted on the outside and corroded... not a recent crash.
Amelia was taught how to conserve fuel by Lindberg. Lindy taught the ferry pilots during the war and I have spoken to one, years ago and he told me of the method of running on the lean side of peak and how he could get impossibley low fuel flows.

The book figure is high so no one gets into trouble when ham fisted people run out of fuel. Nothing's changed there modern cars do better than the computer says.

There's never been a wreck found in the Pacific but there's one in the jungle with the right sort of serial numbers which were taken down and noted on paper which you can look at.

David Billings has been involved with a number of wreck identifications and examinations in PNG, so he knows a bit more than armchair theorists.

I've flown an aircraft that had a radio failure, why couldn't Amelia's and she couldn't communicate her intention to go to the nearest suitable aerodrome... Rabaul.

Read the article.