PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legalities on using a camera during take off and landing
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 08:13
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi_73
You all know the actual reality of electronic devices interfering with aircraft systems is *** right?
No, we don't, and neither do you: Sadly for your future career, neither does NZCAA who take a rather different view, as you would know if you flew heavy metal, which (from your previous posts), you appear not to do.
there have also been nuemrous ground test which have never attributed any interference with flight instrumentation or systems due to mobile phones etc...
And there have been numerous (albeit circumstantial) incidents in flight which have suggested interference. In my 30+ years flying experience I have twice had to track down electronic items in the cabin, at the Captains request, that were suspected of being the source of interference: On both occasions, turning items off cleared the fault. Ground tests prove little: The restrictions on phone use are largely precautionary, based on a balance of probability.
Most FA's have a great deal of training etc etc... but on the technical details of aircraft and aircraft systems they aren't experts and are most likely perpetuating the myths they learnt in training.
Quite correct - we aren't experts, just the poor sods charged with implementing the policies of the airline and legislative authorities. They may or may not be myths, but we are trained accordingly, and I have yet to meet a real airline pilot who has not supported his/her crew in the application of these rules. The application of the rules and procedures learned in training is precisely what Cabin Crew are paid to do - they're not there for any other reason.
I have use a mobile phone while in the cockpit on several occaions and i didn't end up upside down!!!
And this proves what? Is that a scientific study? A comprehensive analysis of global data? Aviation doesn't work like that: You don't get to cherry-pick those bits of legislation, good -practise and SOP that suit you, and ignore the rest - you would know this if you were flying jets as part of a large crew.

We've actually had numerous discussions in this forum previously, many of them surprisingly technical and in-depth: Those dissenting from the mainstream (i.e. agreeing with you) have done so based on factual evidence and technical knowledge, or 10,000+ hours experience rather than a couple of years in a cessna. This is the passenger forum - whether we like it or not, the use of mobile phones and other electronics is an issue to them (many of these contributors have extensive experience and fly regularly). Since it is an issue, we would be wise to treat it (and them) with a degree of respect, rather than pretending a degree of expertise that we don't have

Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi_73 on January 13th 2011
Having recently got my license in a shortish time my solo is still fairly fresh in my mind.
Congratulations and welcome to the world of aviation.