PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachutes
Thread: Parachutes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 07:45
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hit a perigrine falcon near the Grand Canyon in a Cessna 210; it peeled the leading edge back to the spar.

I hit something one halloween night, at 10,000' in a Cessna 182, around one in the morning, in the mountains. A big bang, like someone took a chunk of wood and smacked the windscreen. When I shined a light on the windscreen, blood was everywhere. A few feathers were the dead giveaway. I have no idea what I hit, but it was my first birdstrike at night.

20 years later I hit a bird near Las Vegas at one in the morning, also at ten thousand feet. I heard a loud bang, and thought I'd had a failure associated with pressure, at first. Cabin pressure was fine, but when I looked crosscockpit through the windscreen at the lights of Las Vegas, the view was broken, opaque. Whatever I hit crushed the radome and got the right side windscreen.

When doing ag as a kid, I had a lot of birdstrikes, dozens at a time, when the flocks of birds would nestle down in the crop. My approach apparently surprised them, as I was flying low and I imagine the crop muffled the approach. Flocks rose out of the crop suddently, and they'd strike all over the airplane; they made a sound like popcorn (I called them "popcorn birds" because of the noise). Mostly they only left slight dings in the leading edge, feathers and a little blood here and there. Frequently at least one would get stuffed down the ram air port on the automatic flagman on the right wing; when I opened it up to restock the flags between flights, often the mangled remains of one or two birds were jammed in there. Occasionally they'd come through the cockpit vents, either at the wing roots, or over the top of the cockpit. A fresh air scoop vented over the top, and once in a while the birds made it through the prop, and struck the wire cutter on the windscreen. The birds split in two, half going past one side of the canopy, half going the other way. Sometimes the bird would ride the blade to the top of the canopy, enter the fresh air scoop, and explode down the back of my shirt.

Now that I think about it, exploding birds don't have much to do with the thread topic either, but it's certainly more interesting than re-inventing emergency fire procedures using a handgun. I suspect it happens a lot more, too.