PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Connect to localhost.localdomain?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 01:18
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connect to localhost.localdomain (Linux problem)

WD MyBook World Edition II NAS running Busybox Linux, all folders specified as Public, and sitting on the home network with fixed IP address. Navigation to the folder structure via shortcut in Windows Explorer has worked flawlessly since installation well over a year ago. PC is running XP SP3 MCE 2005.

Flawlessly that is, until last week when clicking the shortcut started resulting in a Username and Password dialogue window. Typing anything at all in the Username field and not even bothering with a password results in access, and that access is then maintained without seeing the dialogue again until the PC is rebooted. It then presents itself once more the first time access to the NAS is attempted, and so on.

The heading of the dialogue window is "Connect to localhost.localdomain" but I have not touched my host file in yonks and in any case 127.0.0.1 localhost exists in it. The PC is also in a workgroup, not a domain.

Ideas to stop this annoying box, please?

Normally I might live with it but until I have manually prompted it to pop-up and then "logged in" to the NAS, my backup to the NAS doesn't work (Destination not available). As soon as I have "logged in" then the backup runs too even though it is to a different (higher) part of the folder hierarchy than the manual log-in.

Other PCs on the home network (XP home, XP Pro, and W7 Professional) all "see" the NAS folder structure without needing a manual login first, so the problem is probably with this specific PC.

Many thanks!
XV

Last edited by The late XV105; 4th Mar 2011 at 09:33. Reason: Title edited to reflect increased information