PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting out in late 30's - advice please...
Old 1st Mar 2011, 22:14
Donwoody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 39, I did my private/com/NVFR rating back in 1992 then didn't use it. I worked as a cameraman for 20 years. Over all that time I was glider towing - did about 900 hours of that - didn't cost me a cent. In October 2008 I decided I was sick of the media and I wanted to turn my hobby into my career. I did a MECIR and applied for a job. In total I had 1200 single engine VFR hours and my basic IFR rating. It took 11 months but a charter job came up in the country so I sold my house and my wife and I moved. I started flying a C402 doing passenger charter as my first job. In a couple of months I was on the C404. The company was a great place to fly and the boss was very good to me. If you work hard and do the right thing it gets noticed. I've just resigned and I'm starting a new job in 4 weeks - again on a C404 but with FO work on a turbo prop. Currently I'm studying my ATPLs - 2 down - 5 to go. I'm married with no kids. I had a plan to change my career and get back to a similar salary within 5 years, I'm half way into that time frame. The most important thing, I love going to work! I feel like I haven't worked for a year and a half! The young pilots I come across are in such a hurry to progress and climb the ladder. I'm not in a hurry, just enjoying the ride - you have to smell the roses along the way. You will take a financial hit though. I love Porkchop's post - VERY true.