PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 21:27
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
India Four Two:

It is indeed an interesting Chipmunk!

ZK-CVM is Can.34, one of 12 aircraft built in Canada for the Indian DGCA in 1958, being registered in India as VT-CVM. (I suspect your use of VH-CVM was a typo).

It is a DHC-1A-2, a sort of “half-way house” between the simple DHC-1A-1 and the far more capable DHC-1B or (in the UK) the Chipmunk T.10/Mk.20 series. Fitted with a Gipsy-Major 10 Mk.1-3 engine, which had an accessory drive case, this aircraft sported the full blind-flying panel including vacuum driven DG’s and AH’s. But it still had the lighter centre-section, and thus retained the DHC-1A-1’s weight and aerobatic limitations.

One sure give-away that it’s not what its colour scheme purports it to be (i.e. a bubble canopied DHC-1B-S3 or -S5) is that this aircraft lacks the deeper cowl with the distinct step on the underside. Difficult to tell, but it also seems to retain the original narrow-chord rudder.

So, the gear leg fairings and (I think) T.10 throttle quadrant are indeed correct for the DHC-1A-2, while no Canadian-built Chipmunk had the strakes. The bubble canopy is clearly a later addition.

I'm going to Omaka next month and hope to meet the owner then!