PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 1st Mar 2011, 18:56
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose rivets;
I'm left with imagining a Hanna Barbera manipulation of gravity to allow the aircraft to sit at 10degrees nose up, waiting for clean wings and enough power to go around.
If I may, let's express these notions with some care, avoid hyperbole and try to understand the airplane.

The aircraft is certified for the maneuver and there is an SOP for it. There is no "10degrees nose up, waiting for clean wings and enough power to go around". One description of the SOP in a high bounce is to apply TOGA thrust, maintain current pitch attitude, accept the possibility of a second touchdown and leave the aircraft configuration as it is until a definite rate of climb is established then complete the standard go-around procedures. There are other words but these are the essentials. I've seen it in flight data, (twice), and that's how it went. The airplane is certified for the possibility of a touchdown during a go-around, (caters to the CATIII approach).

We need to keep firmly in mind, (as recently reminded by Safety Concerns) the other, more important aspect of this event, which has occurred a number of times (seen it), and that aspect is the dispatching of the aircraft after a cursory examination of the airframe after the captain's report, a dispatching which occurred as a result of an inability to access/read/interpret/act upon the available ACARS/AIMS data in the LOAD 15 REPORT which led to permitting commercial and scheduling factors to influence and prioritize decisions. That is an organizational issue with far more serious implications than the plusses and minuses of the design philosophy of the Airbus A320.