PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 14:36
Discorde

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Two more Wheelbarrow (BEA version) stories. Can't vouch for the veracity of either:

(i) Milan Linate to Heathrow. SOP was to climb in the hold at Trezzo VOR up to MSA (FL180) & then set course across the Alps. On one occasion an Argosy gets to MSA & then a donk packs up. So they spiral back down again in the TZO hold & land back at Linate. About an hour, then, to go from MXP to nowhere & back again. We fared better in the Guardsvan – only once round the TZO hold was usually required for adequate terrain clearance.

(ii) An Argosy is overflying Paris when a prop overspeeds. Before the crew can respond the prop disintegrates & knocks out the adjacent engine. Previous posts have referred to the (non) perf of the Barrow with two out on one side. The crew divert to Paris. At the subsequent court martial it is suggested to the Capt that he was too slow in initiating the overspeed drill & shutdown.

'Can you remember your first response when you realised a prop was overspeeding?' asked the inquisitor.

'Yes, I remember clearly,' responds the Capt. 'My first action was to stub out my cigar.'