PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continuous Descent Approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 12:19
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpagueur,

what i meant is if one is below of a continious descent profile(optimum of course being idle thrust) and dives at idle thrust to end up leveling off time after time during vectoring is poor practice.
In best of case,atc will advise you the track miles(i recall STN) or if uou ask kindly:-) then uou can do the altitude/distance rule and get a good V/S.

I see no problem to do 500ft/min the last 3000 feet to avoid leveling off for 10 miles there after.

Of course level off to decelerate from clean speed to flaps speed is ok as long as you judge well...much easier to descent 500ft/min and catch the glide while decelerating to your flaps speed,less noise bust possible.

Heathrow director,The airport via the noise sensors will send a fine to the company in question...
Same when you dont monitor your track precisely or t/o noise procedure.the trickiest i remember being london stansted,where the 3000ft acceleration use to coincide with the first hard altitude in the step climb as the 90 degree left turn would start,so bank 30 minimum clean speed would just do it on our 737,faster and you would overshoot the turn or slower(flaps 1 speed) and you would level off with plenty of drag and get noise fine...

Last edited by de facto; 1st Mar 2011 at 12:30.