PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible to retain a Class 1 after a brain tumour?
Old 1st Mar 2011, 11:12
vfrrider481

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all,

The next few weeks are unlikely to yield many developments as much of it will be taken up with poking and prodding. In the mean time, I am amazed at the human mind's resolve and it's ability to rationalise and deal with difficult situations.

Since my story started a work associate of my wife's has been told her husband has a brain tumour. Whilst my wife doesn't know the exact type or severity, it appears he has been having fits for some time and the medics were treating him for epilepsy. Obviously at some point either an MRI was done as part of the investigations into epilepsy or the medication was not working. Either way the situation has resulted in a later diagnosis than for myself. It's not automatically a poor prognosis as it really does depend on the type, size and location of the tumour. From all of this though I have huge sympathies for the families of those involved but also for the medics who often have to link apparently inoccuous pieces of a jigsaw together in a world where money is an object. I genuinely believe that given the financial means any migraine/epilepsy/visual disturbance patient would be given a routine MRI or CT scan but the decisions are clinically based within a budgeted framework. A challenge I do not envy, particularly given the potential guilt one could saddle ones self with in a late diagnosis.

I have discovered 2 things over the last couple of weeks. In the UK we are truely blessed with the NHS. It's not perfect by any means and poor decisions both clinically and managerial still exist. But don't kid ourselves that those problems disappear completely in the private sector. The care and treatment I have thus far received I could not afford elsewhere and has been provided by professionals for whom I hold the utmost respect.

The second thing is that for the vast majority of us, there is often someone who is worse off. It can be seen in this country without looking to developing nations, and one must be thankful for the good things we have. Money, sexual prowess and promotions are not important other than to massage one's own ego. Friends (true friends that is), family and health are important, undervalued and often taken for granted.

It's important to look forwards because we can't change the past but we can enjoy new challenges.

I'll update soon when I have more news,
VFR