PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting out in late 30's - advice please...
Old 1st Mar 2011, 09:19
Porkchop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Polar,
Had never flown till is was 34. Was a computer geek with wife and 3 kids......
. Vomitted on my first three lessons. Stuck with it.
. Spent over 90K on flight training. Stuck with it.
. Seriously considered giving up at least four or five times during training thinking that this is beyond me, have RESPOSIBILITIES and i'm to old to be putting in this much study and competeing against cashed up 20 yo's!!!!!! . Stuck with it and didn't give up!!
Stuck with it and didn't give up!!!!!!
Stuck with it and didn't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And after a lot of hard work......
. Got a job as a hangar rat
. Worked hard, made the boss happy and got a PA31 endorsement after sweeping hangers for 6 months
. Worked hard, made the boss happy, got a Titan endorsement.
. Worked hard, made the boss happy, got a King Air endorsement.
Flew around the country pinching myself that I got to fly these very cool aircraft.

And then one day.....

Put and application into an airline, jumped through their hoops and got a job !!!
Now flying RPT turboprops and loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Age gives you one advantage Polar .....perspective!!!! You already know how to work hard and survive! You already know how to deal with stress!!! You already know how to compete....and it is a competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now 40 with 4 kids and a wife, get paid about half as much now as I did as a computer geek, but you know what............I come to work every day and get paid to do my hobby and love it!!!!!!!

Took me about 6 years all up of working my A%$* off but it is totally worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commit to it, don't give up!! don't give up!! don't give up!! don't give up!!
And before you know it you'll be staring down at the ground from flight levels pinching yourself as I did, rather than looking up into the sky, watching planes go by feeling full of regret that you didn't give it a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in there and give it a crack Polar...... and you never know, one day down the track, after you've succeeded, you can give the same advise to some other older bloke who is worried about sticking his neck out to chase a dream!!!

That's what I reckon anyway!!

Last edited by Porkchop; 1st Mar 2011 at 09:34.