PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL in Scandinavia
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 09:06
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very many good and honest replies here. I hope you heed the warnings as well. The only things that are guaranteed if you still choose to pursue this is that you will spend a lot of money that needs to be repaid, you will be declined so many times that you no longer lose sleep due to it, you will have absoluelty no possibility to have a family (let alone a stable relationship) due to AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome, not the other disease ), you won`t have too many friends left since you`re always pursuing an opening or can`t do anything to socialize because you`re flat broke. You will most likely have to fork up more cash for a typerating, because "everyone else" has done so, in hope of a job, but they`re still unemployed or are on sketchy 6 month contracts which are paid less than "will fly for food", or they are actually paying money to fly 500 hours on type to get an "edge" on everyone else with the same typerating. BTW, pilot jobs are probably the only jobs that have had a negative trend since the beginning. Glamorous lifestyle? Yeah right. Consider sleeping in your car because of low pay combined with evermore liberal flight time "limitations", and being not fit to drive home after work because you need to sleep to be fit to fly. I could continue on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Nick, Crossunder and others have pointed out that the better option would be getting an education that is useful and worth something. Once you are in a job, and have less of a loan to pay back probably about half of what an fATPL costs you), then you can et a PPL for starters. Have fun, bring your friends, family, go on trips etc. If things have changed in the business then you can consider going on with the CPL. This is by far the safest path, and maybe the one less travelled the last decade or so, but it won`t put you in the RHS of a medium haul jet in the same timescale. You do the math