PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Started PPL training (!)
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2011, 01:07
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't take too much to heart from the posters on here (unless it's me posting) If you show even the slightest bit of naivete or have a genuine but perhaps basic question or experience, they immediately will cut you down or accuse you of being a troll. It's just how it is. Everyone here has 100.000 hrs, were born in an airplane and is so jaded that unless you do exactly how they do it, it's wrong. Even if you do exactly like they do it, it's still wrong. Geddit?

That said, you should never be intimidated by ATC. I know this is something that most new pilots fear: talking on the radio. I did as well. When you get accustomed to the lingo and the procedures, it's not hard at all. And they are there to help you. It's never shameful to admit you're lost or in trouble - they will go out of their way to help you 99 times out a 100. I've been lost many times and if you don't have the time or the ability to determine your position using VOR's or landmarks, they will help you out. It's a trap falling into the stay-away-from-controlled-airspace-so-I-don't-have-to-talk-to-ATC way of flying. It will limit you as you progress.

Landings will come, no worries. Greasers are bonuses anyway. Show me a pilot that greases it a 100 times out a 100, and I will show you a liar. But one thing that I know works is to look far ahead in the distance (I "hinge" on the end of the rwy with my eyes normally) and let your peripheral vision do the job for you. If you look to close, you'll overcompensate and your correction will already be too late.

Have fun and don't give up after you've had a bad day flying (they will come) - too many do. We need all the pilots we can get.