PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 28th Feb 2011, 19:19
Gemini Twin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I've just read the following column in a Canadian Helicopter magazine which states:

Some aviators believe FAA part 29 requires the transmision to be able to run dry for 30 minutes. It does not. While I realize some will observe hindsight is 20/20, the only prudent action by the ill fated crew was essentially "written in stone". Had the pilots initiated an immediate and accelerated descent to landing on the water with a deployed emergency flotation system and prepared to abandon the helicopter if the sea state dictaed evacuation - everyone could have lived.
So it was the crews fault????

I suppose he means FAR part 29 and I'd like to remind him what is says in the FAR's

(1) Category A. Unless such failures are extremely remote, it must be shown by test that any failure which results in loss of lubricant in any normal use lubrication system will not prevent continued safe operation, although not necessarily without damage, at a torque and rotational speed prescribed by the applicant for continued flight, for at least 30 minutes after perception by the flightcrew of the lubrication system failure or loss of lubricant.

I would say that the similar problem in the southern hemisphere should be counted to show that failure was NOT extemely remote and a 30 minute test should have been demanded by FAA and Transport Canada.

The columns "author" provides accident reconstruction and "expert" opinions to law firms and the courts.