PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320: (PNF) Foot on Rudder Pedals (during Taxi, T/O and LDG)
Old 28th Feb 2011, 13:19
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
In another life I was flying an F27 (as captain) left seat with a check captain occupying the right seat. We were short of F/O's which is why two captains were crewed.
Over the week or so I had been crewed with this chap, it became evident he was a nervous nellie who couldn't help himself but to ride the controls while I was doing the take off or landing. In particular I noticed that the control forces when I rotated were always seemingly significantly greater when this bloke was in the RH seat. Moreover, when I watched him fly from the LH seat on his leg, it was noticeable he would ignore the support call of "VR" and instead rotate some 10 knots later.

Then one day I discovered what the cunning bugger was up to. He thought rotating 10 knots faster than the VR book figure was safer in case of engine failure. But that wasn't the point. So on one of my take off rolls I glanced across the cockpit and was astounded to see him surreptitiously moving one leg to behind the control column and when I went to rotate at the book VR he jammed his knee behind the control column to impede its movement. The bastard, I thought. This is taking twitchiness too far.

Nearing VR on my next take off, I saw him move his knee move behind the control column and at VR I jerked the stick back hard against his knee causing a shout of pain. Even so, we had gone well past VR. I called out " I have a control column jamming - handing over control"

He leapt on to the wheel and rotated 10 knots fast as expected. After the gear and flaps were up I asked him if he had felt any restriction on the aft movement of the control column.

He didn't answer the first time, so I again asked him. His reply was that I rotated too early and that it was always better to rotate 10 knots or more past VR. And now listen to this beauty. I asked him why this was so and he replied that the Rolls Royce Dart engines operated more efficiently at higher speeds and the longer the aircraft stayed on the runway the more efficient the Dart would be if there was an engine failure. And that guy was a check captain! Twitchy pilots always have an excuse for their actions and if they cannot answer with logic they will invent a reason...

If nothing else I was pleased to see him limp for a few days until his knee recovered.