PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well done to the Herc boys and girls
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2011, 12:07
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avionker - your arguments are all rational if it is true that they were evacuated out of unprepared strips under genuine threat from hostile locals. I'm not very convinced about the severity of the alleged ground threat though - I suspect that if it was as high as is being reported by the some, then there would have been a much more complex ground operation to secure the landing area than there appears to have been (just putting a few SF on the ground first to provide int is not securing an airfield, as I'm sure you know).

Moreover, these oil company compounds do actually have their own security and would be well able to defend themselves against the threat from looters or gangs of thugs. Admittedly, they would be outgunned by a well-armed and organised militia force, but it seems from reports from evacuees that the newly organised local militias were offering to protect the oil installations - after all it is in their own interests to keep the economy running.

BTW, our insurance was valid for Libya last time we checked a few days ago. On occasions in the past when we have had to pay a premium to visit other areas with civil unrest we passed the cost on to the client. We would definitely still consider charters to anywhere in Libya that our aircraft performance allows us to go. After all, it is nothing like as dangerous as flying into Baghdad used to be, and as you know civilian aircraft were operating into there throughout the occupation, even after some were hit (eg DHL Airbus in 2003).