PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 28th Feb 2011, 10:43
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B - I'm not sure why a '10 kt tailwind' affects the 'need' for throttle closure?

overun - possibly a 'retard'? Let us again ask the 'experts' which human sense vanishes first in a stressed situation?

I think this has been done to death. My views on piloting are that I would choose when I do something like closing the throttles and not have some dreamed up/modified/confusing software/subsequent 'SOP' tell me. Yes, that is, apparently, old-fashioned.

As all who have dabbled in writing lines of code know, the odds are high that when you go in and change a line or two to 'correct' some discovered anomaly you introduce others (Merton's 'Law of Unintended Consequences'). Whoever decided that you should have the throttles closed on landing must be very experienced on tail-draggers. The ONLY reason for a competent pilot to have the throttles closed on or after landing on a 'modern' nose-wheeled aircraft is to allow the aircraft to be slowed (as Congonhas found). It does not need to be an 'SOP'. If it does then the aircraft is wrongly engineered.

Of course, when we move to a totally automatic aircraft (or 'Captain and dog' for those who recall that little prophetic 'joke') the software will guarantee to cope with a bounce/tyre burst etc etc will it not - or will the 'Captain' exceptionally be allowed to touch something even if bitten?

The only question would be who is on who's lead as the crew walk up to the kennel?