PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 28th Feb 2011, 01:46
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2
I stand corrected, even if I think that that kind of stuff involving basic flying technique and airmanship should not load a SOP manual.
To be fully configured by 1000 feet on the way down or to operate the thrust reduction at a specified altitude on the way up are more kind of things that qualify for SOP designation, in my mind.

the ATR software has been modified such that in any bounce, the spoilers deploy more slowly, (as mentioned in the report).
It is not what I understand. The ground spoilers will still fully deploy if thrust levers are retarded in the air following a bounce, the modification is, in the aim to reduce or cancel any bounce, that the ground spoilers will partially deploy at initial touchdown, even if the thrust levers are still in the CLB detent.

The message that Airbus sends could be the following :
No matter how badly you bring the aircraft to its initial touchdown, our automatism will make sure it stays there.
As BOAC put it : the more we 'automate' flying the less pilots are aware of what they and the aircraft systems are doing

To me that full deployment of ground spoilers in the air is a total heresy.
To write that a go-around must be initiated following a high bounce, is not enough.
A note should clearly warn that retarding the thrust levers after a bounce could trigger the full deployment of all ground spoilers in the air !