PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 27th Feb 2011, 17:32
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
PJ, It really is a forum for a broad spectrum of interested parties. Trying to sort the facts from fiction means relying on qualified people who know the type, people like you, and indeed for us dinosaurs, people who are up to speed on modern systems. The odd confused statement/question is inevitable.

I said:
. . . yet the system is not intelligent enough to recognize a bounce.
It seems the system can recognize a bounce, but then does something I wouldn't do in a million years. The designers must know something I don't. Maybe, a thing or two.

You said:
If the A320 bounces high and the WOW has latched, closing the thrust levers to idle will satisfy spoiler deployment conditions and that is what happened in the two events I know about. Somewhat related to your thoughts on entering the "retard" mode, the ATR software has been modified such that in any bounce, the spoilers deploy more slowly, (as mentioned in the report).
Thinking aloud, I suggested two reasons why the three seconds of oleo compression requirement might well be met in even a modest bounce, but as I imply, I'm still astonished to read that anything is allowed to diminish lift during the following crucial moments.

Again, just trying to understand. A bounce can be quite a long affair in time/distance, so I assume any deployment has be a delicate balance between containing the bounce, and the fear of running out of concrete.