PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building Tour
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2011, 15:24
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charts,
As I said, get the Jeppesen Trip Kit and the full set of charts. You can get them from Jeppesen direct and have them shipped in a few days.

Expect to need about 10 charts, depending on your ambition. They're between 12 and 20 euros each. And the VFR Trip Kit for the whole of Europe (the "A" kit) is a little over 200 euros. But you can select smaller kits or make your own combination if you're less ambitious.

Start here:
Paper Charts, Electronic Charts, Avionics Data Solutions, Integrated Bundle Services - JeppDirect

However, I found it more helpful to simply phone Jeppesen and tell them what I needed. They then shipped that to me directly. Took about two-three days since I was not in a hurry.

landing fees, handling fees etc.
Anywhere between a few euro for the tea kittie to several hundreds of euros if you go to a controlled field with mandatory handling.

Once you're inside the Schengen area you can essentially fly from anywhere to anywhere without having to worry about customs/immigration formalities. (Just don't forget to file a flight plan if you cross an international FIR boundary.) This means that you can fly from any small field to another, and those are usually the cheapest. Do phone/fax in advance (a little knowledge of French, German and maybe some Spanish or Italian helps a lot here) so that you know what services you can expect, and what you'll need to pay for it.

The Jeppesen trip kit doesn't have this sort of information, so check out the website of the field. And in France there's a handy booklet describing these sorts of characteristics. I think called the "Guide VFR France" but I couldn't find it quickly.