PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons for becoming a controller.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2011, 11:19
dreamer84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons for becoming a controller.

Hi everyone,

I'm part way through the application process for ASA (testing shortly) and I've just gotten curious about what made people want to become an ATC'er in the first place. I guess when you've loved aviation since a kid like I have, flying the big jets or fast fighters is probably all you think of at that age and other demanding/technical careers like ATC weren't given much thought.

My interest in ATC has grown rapidly over the last 2 yrs or so, but prior to that it was all about the flying. Not meaning to sound like ATC is only a 2nd best thing after giving up on flying, but circumstance had me looking for something else in aviation that would pay the bills but still give me the challenge and thrill of flying. I now want this career just as much as I ever wanted to fly professionally.

Just interested to hear what motivated people to become a controller. Is it something you've wanted since school? Are there many ex-pilot controllers? (if yes, why the change?)Were you passionate about aviation, or was it something that just popped up?
For some reason I'm keen to know more about the type/background of the people that work in ATC.

Thanks in advance.