PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building Tour
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2011, 09:29
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We would then spread the map out along the wing, draw a circle at the 2-3 hour distance and then decide where to go for lunch. After lunch we would do the same to decide where to go that evening.
If I were to do an hour building trip, this is how I would do it.

Get a Jeppesen VFR Trip Kit for the whole of Europe, plus the full set of VFR charts. Bring a laptop/iPod/whatever so that you can get proper synoptic charts to figure out where the good weather is, and don't plan too much in advance. (Or get a subscription to JeppView and bring a portable printer instead of the Trip Kit.)

At larger airports, don't go for the "official" handling agents, but phone up a few flying clubs before you set off, to see if they're willing to do your handing. That can save you a ton of money.

Pack light, and if necessary spend a morning or afternoon doing laundry (and sightseeing) instead of flying.

I wonder if a mountain flying course could also count towards your hour building time. I'm not sure if you fly the mountain flying training hours as PIC or PU/T. But that would be a great activity once you get to the Alps.