PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 26th Feb 2011, 21:33
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ - my training was military. As the sweep angle of my aircraft increased through my career the teaching became more and more that retarding throttle/throttles too early could cause a heavy landing. The teaching was, and I'm sure still is, to retard the power WHEN it was appropriate. When I flew it, the teaching for the BAC Lightning with its high sweep was to land with power on. I can recall also being taught on the 737 much later in life NOT to retard the throttles too early, particularly at F40. I have learnt over the years to judge myself when it is appropriate to close the throttles and have never done it at a fixed height! If I have felt I needed power on to touchdown I used it.

It appears that the AB philosophy is different. Boeing also suggest closing the levers in the flare but are not so insistent. I am surprised and glad I never had to learn a new way of landing. I cannot understand the apparent stress on flaring with throttles closed. The spoilers will still extend WHEN they are closed, will they not? The increase in landing run is insignificant. To have an FOQA 'event' for this raises even more doubts in my mind. Why? Because of the software?

I guess CONF and I have similar 'memories'. Ah well. As you say "ignorance is bliss".