PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2011, 17:33
PRT2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return to the debate...

Hi all!

I do read these things with interest, as going through most of the posts it amazes me on how you can read some utter rubbish. I am a RYR pilot and one who is only a few weeks away from leaving for other pastures. After 27 pages the thread has been lost a bit, but currently the bottom line is:

The "official" line is that the management know, who, when and why people may be leaving and its in line with expected planned numbers. True or false that's the RYR Line. Do people really expect them to say anything other than that?

Comments made by people moaning about paying for TR, etc are fine but not helpful. The current market allows for it and whilst it does RYR will continue. Lets face it, their not the only ones! However due to numerous reasons, the total number of people leaving (Exact number is debatable) can not be replaced by cadets.

What, if anything RYR will do to try and reduce the amount of people leaving will struggle to be close to peoples grand ideas. From an RYR oldie I would agree with a comment posted earlier that the canx of 90% salary for new Capts & a better choice of base (be it the pilots current or any other preferred option) would make things better. However this also may not stop people from leaving. The industry is enjoying a cautious upturn and resignations will occur, be it for RYR, EASY, BA, EK, BMI, AA, UA, etc.

People around the 2,500hr mark now have the opportunity to almost be on an even keel with those with 6,000 if they join EK (as an example). This is understandably appealing. Why stay on to do your command with RYR (adding a 2yr bond), different base and 90% salary for at least 1 yr, to end up with 4,500hrs (with some command experience) only to leave and go back to the right seat (Mandatory for EK) for another 3-5yrs?

Stay as an F/O - move into a different company and 3-5yrs later (EK) you up for command. People who became Capt with RYR and then move, will be your F/O's!

RYR is a company that can give a lot of practical experience in a short period of time. The training standards are high (Noted comments of carriers currently interviewing RYR pilots), and many guys who are not necessarily tied down and willing to move use RYR as a good stepping stone.

It should also be noted that people currently leaving are not just heading to EK, contrary to popular belief. BA, Aer Lingus, Korean, Jet 2, Fly Dubai, Etihad, Tiger, Jet Airways, etc continue to receive RYR guys. What will RYR do to stem the flow - probably nothing.