PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 26th Feb 2011, 17:19
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONF iture;
SOP certainly not, at most recommended procedure.
From the A320 FCOM:

"Predetermined altitude call outs are computer generated by the Flight Warning Computer (FWC) beginning at 400 ft RA. Auto call out by the FWC below minimums/decision include "100", "50", "30" then "RETARD", "RETARD" is generated if the Thrust Levers are not at idle by 20 ft (manually flying) or by 10 ft (autoflight engaged).

"AT 30 FT APPROX
"Commence a progressive flare while simultaneously closing the thrust levers; thrust levers to be at idle prior to touchdown. Allow the aircraft to touch down without prolonged float."

Further, from the A330/A340 FCOM:

"In Normal Law the flight controls provide for a conventional flare and touchdown. Normal Law provides protection for Attitude, Maneuver, Overspeed and Wind Shear. Degradation of any of the protected systems is displayed on the PFD.

"Predetermined altitude callouts are computer generated by the Flight Warning Computer (FWC), beginning at 400 ft RA. Auto callout by the FWC below minimums/decision include "50", "30", then "RETARD". "RETARD" is generated if the Thrust Levers are not at idle by 20 ft (manually flying) or by 10 ft (autoflight engaged).

"AT 40 FT APPROX
"Commence a progressive flare while simultaneously closing the thrust levers; thrust levers to be at idle prior to touchdown. Allow the aircraft to touch down without prolonged float.

"Note: If one or more thrust levers remain above the IDLE detent, ground spoilers extension is inhibited."

The FCOM operational statements for both Airbus types are abundantly clear. The thrust levers are to be at IDLE before touchdown. The "RETARD" auto callout is a reminder for this SOP.

This is how it is taught and how it is checked in recurrent training and line checks. We even had a FOQA event for "Thrust levers not at IDLE at Touchdown".

It is also taught that on a severe bounce, the SOP is to go-around, not try and rescue the landing. I have seen in flight data such bounces followed by go-arounds and they work as described. I have also seen and dealt with the very event which occurred with the SATA A320.

fantom;
Having sat next to countless newbies on their first-ever circuits (base training, we call it here) I must have seen more interesting arrivals than the average but never, as far as I am aware, have the spoilers deployed in the air.

I always understood that they simply cannot.

It can, and has happened, at least twice. As explained in PBL's post, Airbus has modified the logic of deployment since.

Rather than my taking up bandwidth here, it's better to read the report to understand why this can happen, especially if you're training pilots, (did that too...even "interesting" doesn't describe it adequately at times!)

In post #78, PBL states (accurately), "The point is that the MLG compression is latched for 3 seconds, and ground spoilers come when thrust levers are retarded to idle. " The FCOM "Note" cited above, "Note: If one or more thrust levers remain above the IDLE detent, ground spoilers extension is inhibited", refers directly to this and so the SOP to ensure thrust levers are at IDLE prior to touchdown relates directly to this.

Some fairly significant decisions which had to be made when designing the system, one of which is the logic that confirms to certain systems that the aircraft is landing, and on the ground. This isn't as straightforward as may first seem, so one must understand this, and must understand the system.

BOAC, I'm confused by your comment in re PBL...what is there about swept wing handling that has to do with ensuring the thrust levers are retarded prior touchdown as per SOP? What have I missed?

Last edited by PJ2; 26th Feb 2011 at 17:39.