PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2011, 16:46
d105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aldente

I was recentely made aware that Ryanair contracts now also have to take a month off. Not sure why but your explanation seems plausible. At least in a company like Ryanair. This is however a new thing since it was not the case when I joined the company.

Horsepowerr

I don't doubt you know what you are talking about. I'm pretty much of the same mindset as you. I'm tolerating Ryanair for the near future but I'm keeping my eyes open for other opportunities as well. I'm not yet of an age where joining the bottom ladder of a legacy is no longer feasible.

My personal stance towards the Canary Island bases is extremely sceptical. Some of you might remember what happened to the first Valencia base. Pilots moving entire families to Valencia only to be told the base is closing merely a year later. One should be cautious with any new base or any holiday destination base in the Ryanair network. They are prone to large fluctuations in aircraft numbers.

Another issue that arises with remote bases such as the Canaries, Faro or Porto is standbys. Their route networks are based on long flights (2u+ single way) which results in pilots maxing out on hours quickly. Once maxed they go on standbys which are spread to the convenience of rostering.

Phones

I'm glad to see at least two people are taking my advice on refusing to answer their phones during off days. Pilots need to be made aware that there is no benefits whatsoever for Brookfield contractors to fly on off days.