PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military // Prison Officers!
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2011, 09:50
AR1

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if anarchist is the right way of putting it.
I joined up under Labour in the 70's and was happy to do so, I was 'bought' by the Conservatives in '79, and was more than happy with that arrangement... And yet watched my family get biffed in South Yorkshire as Margaret took on the NUM (read her book).

The Tory trick in '79 was a cracker, and got our police and servicemen on board with pay rises to show how valuable we were, yet at the same time having the moratorium on defence spending and cutting carriers. Margaret was just a few month from history taking a completely different view of her premiership.
I personally felt I was part of a conservative with a capital C organisation, yet rapidly shifted my allegiance at the social change being inflicted upon us. Did it make any difference to the 'service of my country' - No. But to assume that all servicemen are 'pro government' would be incorrect.

This time around there's no such slight of hand, but you join up, you know the risks and you get paid for it. It's no different outside, except I dont have a contract that they have to buy out. My company has gone through the recession making losses like you wouldn't believe, but we hung on with the staff we had and returned to profitability in the last quarter of 2010. Two weeks ago, they pulled the 11 of us into the office and said projections for one aspect of the business were down and two of us would have to go.. In profit and NOW we have to go? - And they have. - Just like that. - It's a tough world. We can whine about it, or we can get on with it. Personally, I''m getting on with it.