PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2011, 09:40
Phil Space

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it from the figures quoted 3 or 4 posts ago by Ye Olde Pilot.
£2345 per flying hour plus I've added £150 an hour for non direct costs
such as the police observer and admin.

Silsoe Sid
I don't think any of us think ourselves to be superheroes, just doing the job to the best of our abilities. In our units case under the Force mission statement, 'Serving our communities, protecting them from harm.'
That is the old military institutionalism still coming through. I'm sure a nurse
carries the same motivation without the sort of pay and pension a police pilot gets.

If that means us having to fly 7/6 hour days/nights in marginal weather, so be it and you'll be surprised the diversity of tasks we are asked to help with, none of which would be classed as petty by anyone involved.
Rubbish. You are not flying alone and probably have never had to since you soloed.
Try flying a single engine aircraft VFR from Wales to Jersey at night or across the Bahamas and paying for it SS and I think you find out what a cushy number you are on with the latest up to date kit.

If you ever get to spend a couple of hours flying a old R22 with a 20 year old kid mustering sheep in the Australian outback you will have a heart attack.
I doubt you have ever flown anything not maintained by the oiks to number 1
Quote:
Mmm, I would challenge you to tell us the number of ex-mil North Sea pilots there are, compared to the number of ex-mil pilots there are flying for the Police.
Quite a lot and many are my friends. A lot of the younger ones leave because of the boredom and convert to flying airliners.

Yes Phil, there will be redundancies I'm sure, but even I wouldn't stoop low enough to rub it in peoples faces.
Not at all but I guess you are lucky enough to have a military and civvy flying pension.

There are low paid hospital and council workers further down the food chain not so fortunate .

A little bit of humility and less arrogance would not go amiss

Last edited by Phil Space; 26th Feb 2011 at 10:15.