PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guns in Cockpit (Various)
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2002, 22:17
BOING

OK 28th I will bite even though I know I should ignore your post. Please tell me which is the worst situation even accepting the dismal outcome of your scenario. Two dead pilots with throats cut and six live terrorists or two dead pilots with throats cut and four live terrorists? Does not make much difference does it? In either case the aircraft is lost. With any luck, or judgement, the first two dead terrorists will be jammed in the cockpit doorway slowing down the entry of the others and giving our pax time to react. In reality, who knows how these things could unfold, we can speculate as much as we want but I bet the real thing will be different to what we ever imagined..

Re-training. When I was in a certain airforce a senior NCO used to "misdirect" 9mm ammo which was supposed to have been used for light machine gun training to me so I could practice 9mm pistol for the station shooting club. In UK it was impossible for me to buy enough pistol ammo to practice for our events. Now, in the US I buy my 9mm ammo in cases of 1,000 ($6.95 for 50 rounds and 10% off for case prices). I get through 100 or 200 rounds in an afternoon in serious practice on my home shooting range. (It is still cheaper than playing golf!). I do not pretend to be a great shot but I bet I can do better than two out of six. The point is that keeping in a pretty high level of currency is much easier in the US than elsewhere and it is a thing many people do for fun in the same way some people practice their golf. Currency is not such a great problem as you might anticipate.