PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going beyond 1500hrs TT with Instructing?
Old 8th Sep 2002, 21:58
straight&level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, at about 1500 hours I went into commercial instructing and got my airline job at about 3,000 hours, all but about 250 hours of it SE.

In my interview there were several questions on the commercial instructing, overall it appeared to be viewed in a posotive light
In fact since then on my OPC and LPC checks the comment has been made that my views on training should stand me in good stead for the future.

It may not be for you but I would further say that bear in mind when it comes to command there is a minimum amount of hours required, my company counts all my hours in full, single engine or otherwise (bear in mind that there is also a certain amount of time required on company aircraft) so I dont think the extra hours do any harm.

Also, just doing the flying evey day keeps your hand in, what you are doing is raw data flying and the chances are on a sim check after your interview that is exactly the sort of flying you will do- it certainly cant do any harm.! If you can try to get plenty of applyed instrument training in, it will keep your scan up to scratch.I have found that in the airline world one gets a bit lazy with autopilot, flight directors etc and while I now have some experience on jet I wonder how well I would perform on that sim ride now!