PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2011, 23:50
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there are differing views on the capability of the Harrier GR9 in an air defence role.
Too right there are differing views WE, here's just a couple of thoughts from an ex-Radar equipped, ex- AIM-7/Skyflash equipped ex-crab Air Defender :

Even without a radar, a GR9 with AIM-9L benefitting from SKASaC support would be as capable as a 1982 FRS1 sans AEW.
So the author on ARRSE is comfortable with the fact that this weapons platform has much the same capability as it's predecessor had almost 30 years ago ( i.e. non-BVR, visual AIM-9L shot), and less capability than the much beloved F4-K had 40 years ago......

I’m not quite sure how you work out GR9 is limited to daylight VFR intercepts. I’ve personally controlled GR9s conducting night time NVG PIs and have seen GR7s kill F-16s, FA-18Cs, Mirage 2000 and Tornado F3s at night on exercise.
Oh chapeau - now control the GR9's on a sh1te night with thick 8/8ths clag all the way from the deck to 30k plus and ask them for an ident and/or tell them to engage (Thinks the Med on a bad day, North Sea, Eastern North Atlantic a lot of the year)...is the author only expecting the bad guys to have a go at the fleet on clear airmass days/night?

(apologies if NVGs now have magic cloud penetrating properties, us civvies are not privvy to such secrets)

Last edited by wiggy; 26th Feb 2011 at 01:02.