PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GFPT - Instructor approval to fly
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2011, 23:48
YPJT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ando,
I beg to differ. It's been a while but, without the CARs in front of me (and relying on memory), prior to passing a GFPT a student pilot can only fly 3 hours solo between dual flights. Post-GFPT this can be 15 hours. A school would milk more from their students if they didn't do a GFPT because more dual checks would be required.
I guess that's one way to look at it but why would a student want to be flying around on supervised solo endlessly when their training dollars can be put to far better use completing their navs and obtaining their PPL which is likely their whole aim from the outset? Some people might, for whatever reason choose to do a GFPT whether for personal achievement or to take friends up for a jolly within the training are etc etc. I did it when I did my training however I certainly wasn't forced to. For those without unlimited cash and a desire to complete their PPL in the shortest amount of time, not having to complete a GFPT in my optinion is certainly the best way to go.

Which brings me back to the original subject of this thread, another reason I expressed my original concern is that I have real problems with student pilots flying solo amongs RPT jet aircraft in class G with their instructor well over 2,000km away.