PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2011, 21:23
LD12986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the CC thread.

Now WW has moved on (and taken, from BASSA's perspective, some of the personal aspect of this dispute out of it), I can entirely see the logic of KW doing this to try and draw a line under the affair and move on.

It's a very measured note (with a thinly veiled statement to Unite that they have achieved precisely nothing) but will it make any difference to sentiment amongst the BASSA hardcore?

To all cabin crew:

A personal message from Keith Williams, CEO

As the new chief executive of British Airways, I wanted to write to you personally to give my view of how things stand in the long-running dispute with Unite. I know this issue is of great concern to you, and I hope you will take a couple of minutes to read this letter.

I want my time in this job to be marked more than anything by the extra focus we place on customers – and you play a massive part in determining how good our customers feel about flying with BA.

I continually receive reports of how cabin crew have gone out of their way to make customers’ journeys more enjoyable or relaxing. You are at the absolute heart of our brand.

In any kind of dispute, words can be said which give vent to anger or frustration. I want us to put such things behind us and find a new language that reflects our common purpose in helping each other create the best possible experience for customers.

Despite the tough times we face, I have protected funds to invest for the benefit of customers. We are purchasing new aircraft, introducing new cabins, preparing to bring in improved catering, strengthening our premium service training and using new technologies to offer better entertainment in the air and less hassle on the ground.

I have brought in a new managing director for brands and customer experience, Frank van der Post. He has spent many years in the luxury hotel sector, striving – as we do – to achieve supreme standards of service for a very discerning international clientele.

Frank has been extremely impressed by the dedication and enthusiasm he has found among crew and, with Bill Francis, has many ideas for how we can make it easier for you to provide an excellent experience for customers every time they fly.

I have also authorised a bonus for last year for all cabin crew, even if they went on strike, in recognition of your work over the year as a whole.

If you belong to Unite, I am sure you know by now that the union is balloting for a fourth time for strike action. That is more ballots than in any dispute in the UK in living memory.

Despite allegations to the contrary in some quarters, I have made myself available for talks with Unite – and I want such talks to bring a successful conclusion.

I do not want more confrontation. But everyone knows that if Unite calls a strike again, we will again implement our well-rehearsed contingency plans, which this time will include flying 100 per cent of longhaul. And this time, I would not approve any bonus for anyone joining a strike.

Unite seems to have run out of ideas – it is stuck in a groove and keeps turning to outdated union tactics because it doesn’t know what else to do.

I am asking you to turn away from supporting another grim cycle of strikes and recrimination.

Voting for a strike, even if you privately intend to work normally, causes uncertainty for customers and damages our airline. It brings more divisiveness on board and prolongs the anxieties I know you feel.

I am the new chief executive and I want a new start. I want a positive relationship with all cabin crew whether in Unite or not. And I want a brilliant future for you.

I know that with new investment and your professionalism and expertise, we can completely outshine the competition and make this airline the best in the world – both for customers and for you. That is the prize. Let us look to the future and seize it.

With best wishes,