PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2002, 19:49
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 2 cents:

a. I donīt know about the time you can log - in FAA law I believe it is possible - a helicopter is a helicopter, and if it is registered you should be able to log the time.

b. If you are in the market for an EXEC, donīt bother with the Commercial Licence (except you want the additional training and education....), as you will not be able to use it commercially - or do you have your own plantation - you might be able to use it for fumigation.........
A private licence in the US or in my corner of the world is about 10-11 grand in a R-22.
(So just for the purchase of an EXEC, you do the licence and spend some 55000,- more to fly around for fun. Anyone will give you a price if you pay 20-50 hrs up front. In our company that would probably be 195,-/hr for a R-22, that makes about 290 hrs in a R-22. I doubt you will fly all away in one vacation.........)

c. If you where in the market for a EXEC in the first place, you where already content with a piston, so why waste the money on a turbine if you can fly twice as long with a piston for the same money - and regarding Robinsons, their governor works faster than any turbine.

d. If you get a MD-500 for 300,-US/hr, ask yourself where they safe the money. Most likely it is not a MD but an old Hughes, and then the above question is even more important. Why would someone "give" turbine time away? Samaritian? In the Helicopter business? I donīt think so!! So where are they cutting corners?

MD-500 (...and old Hughes 500 more so) cost a lot of money to maintain properly. I doubt they can cover ops, insurance, fuel, etc. AND make a buck for 300,- an hour!!

Be very careful when you spend less than 500,-US$ per hour for any turbine!!

3top