PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIFO and then flying on the side??
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2011, 14:15
pilotdude09

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FIFO and then flying on the side??

Hi Guys,

I'm contemplating getting my CPL and then going FIFO to my current job which would mean a 2 week on 2 week off roster or a 2 on 6 off roster. Looking at doing this in 12-18 months when I have a few things sorted.

What I would like to do is work my 2 weeks in Karratha then fly for someone anywhere in Aus for my 1.5 or so weeks (depending which roster I go to) .....keep it going for a couple of years until I have enough hours to move on and decide whether to stay driving trains or flying planes.

I have pretty substantial reasoning for it, can't pay a mortgage on 30k a year slogging your guts out up North and lets face it got quite a few other debts and getting a CPL is a big enough debt and by having my job up North it allows me to live and pay the bills and have a job to fall back on if something goes astray.

I know some people are going to flame me etc for this I expect it but potentially it's a great idea for guys who don't want to loose the money to go flying, I know of a few guys around the place who do FIFO but just can't afford to leave their current jobs and drop 100k+ a year in pay to go after their passion, so flying gets lost for many of these guys as it becomes out of reach.

Is this even a realistic idea? I guess some operators do employ Part Time pilots and assume that's what I could be what I'm looking at?

Sure I could just sit here and keep earning the $$ and never look back, but in 10-15 years I don't want to regret not chasing my passion. I've looked at Cadet schemes etc but even doing 2 weeks on 6 weeks off I can earn 3x what a Jetstar cadet earns. So I may as well give it a shot and at least see if it's possible before I start looking at other options.

Cheers