PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C182 or 172
Thread: C182 or 172
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2011, 22:49
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
WHY a 182

A 182 (all of them) were designed to fly behind a 6 cylinder engine swinging a large dia prop at normal revs.They were derived from the 180 series of taildraggers that are very much "working" aircraft.
You put the four people,fuel,and luggage in and it still gets out of a strip.
You can even improve on that with a "cuff" on the wing and V/Gens.
I particularly like the early ones with the flat spring steel gear.
Because the aircraft/engine combo is as designed they are a good performer and handle well a slow speeds (and do not run out of trim)

The 172 Rocket (210) or Hawk XP (190) (derated for TBO) puts a heavier engine/prop combo into a standard 172 airframe.
The engine develops its power at a higher rpm,swings a shorter prop and gives less thrust.At low speeds for a field/strip landing they frequently need full n/up trim and even then there will be a stick load.On the plus side there are less engine icing issues (f/inj) and less fuel burn. I would suggest that if your normal requirement is for two people then a 172 Roc or XP will be fine.

In either case i do not consider the retract issue to be worth the cost and maintenance. If your need is speed then you go straight for the 210 but then you give up the benefits of a simple aircraft.