PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with Norwich based flight schools
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2011, 14:33
Busbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ricky,

Like one of the previous posts suggested, you must check about the colour blindness issue with the UK CAA. Just because the FAA are doing these new tests does not mean the CAA here will automatically do the same. I always suggest to people that before spending any money on flight training you must obtain a class one medical from the CAA at Gatwick. It is expensive but at least you will know where you stand.

I sincerely hope that you get the medical certificate. It may interest you that I actually failed my initial CAA class one medical on being too long sighted. I was out of their prescribed limits. However, after much further testing at my own expense and a very long appeals process, I passed and have subsequently gone on to have a very successful career as an Airline Pilot.

Also remember that if you can get an FAA class one medical now, you can still become a Pilot. There are many biz jets and operators worldwide that will accept an FAA licence. It just means you won't be able to fly aircraft registered under the JAA states (i.e. Europe). There are many american registered aircraft in the UK also, which means you can still fly no problem.

Assuming all goes well, choose the flight school that you feel is right for you. For example, how did they greet you, did they spend enough time explaining their organisation and training courses to you? What did the facility's look like? You get the idea.

I wish you the best of luck