PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornados to be axed?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:13
E L Whisty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RLE - good stuff.

Spreading or sharing blame or citing 'the system' is a typical response of the political classes. The real problem is that the military and the civil service have become politicised to an obscene degree over the last 30 years. It was probably ever thus but it started sticking in my throat in the early 80s. It might seem obvious but politics is an ignoble pattern of behaviour and is well below the standards that should be expected of officers.

I read, from time to time, in the press and blogs, that there are inter-service rivalries. In my last job, it was quite strong at the SO 1 and 2 level and I was always keen to point it out. If it goes on at the level of the men you mention, it is a disgrace. Their duty is to stamp that stupidity out.

The responsibility for the state of UK defence lies squarely with, as you say, defence chiefs and the senior ministers. In some cases, notably Brown, the deliberate destruction is, IMHO, tantamount to treason.

One would wish that there is hope but, sadly, we have a publicity obsessed government who do not share my shame at the pathetic state of our defences. What can you say to somebody when they say, about Libya - 'Where were the RAF?'?