PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Chance to Help a 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot
Old 24th Feb 2011, 09:46
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Chance to Help a 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot

I have been advised to come on this Forum as I am trying to get some kind soul to fly a 91 year old Spitfire pilot & myself, from Lincolnshire down to RAF Benson in Oxfordshire (130 miles) & back.

During the War, Alec had to fly, unarmed & take photos of the French Ports & airfields all the way down to the Spanish Border, in a Spitfire.

In 2001, the Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at RAF Benson held it's 60th Annaversary Reunion & asked Alec if he would bring photos of his Spitfires, reconnaissance photos & Press cuttings that he had saved, to be displayed at the Reunion.

After the Reunion, when Alec's belongings were not returned, he tried contacting Benson, but his calls were never returned. Even the Commanding Officer, surprisingly did not respond to Alec's letters.

Alec is nearly blind now & this has had a very bad effect on him. I took up the banner last November & contacted RAF Benson on Alec's behalf. They have at least now had the decency to write to Alec & apologise to him, for the treatment that had received in the past.

Unfortunately, they have done a thorough search of their archives & cannot find any of Alec's items. The Commanding Officer has invited us to meet face to face to try & resolve this situation then take Alec on a tour of the Station where Alec had once been.

It will take between six & seven hours to drive to Benson & back. The train will take nine hours & require six changes in total, which are both too much for a 91 year old. RAF Benson cannot supply air transport but have kindly said that they will give any private aicraft bringing Alec, permission to land. So please, are there any aviators out there that could make a very brave wartime aviator a very happy man ?