PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An opportunity not to be missed!
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2011, 05:33
JohnMcGhie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may not be cynical, but I am :-)

I dunno John, you're probably right and maybe I'm not as cynical as I thought. One thing's for certain though, the families of the victims of the Colgan crash (many well heeled) were absolutely flabagasted when made aware of the T&C's of the pilots who were entrusted with their loved ones lives on that dark snowy night.
Well, as a former journo, few would be more cynical than I.

Let me clarify: I am not suggesting not talking about Industrial Issues: I am simply suggesting that you will achieve your desired results much more reliably if you do not join them with other issues.

Among the many reasons for the Colgan crash it is reported that these pilots were too tired to fly. That's a safety issue.

Obviously, the did not have the power to call in and say "Sorry, I haven't had enough sleep, I am not fit to fly." That's a safety issue.

And their boss knew, or should have known, that they were under-trained. That's a safety issue.

There are ALSO Industrial issues. I am sure Colgan has some. I am sure every airline has some.

Industrial issues deserve and require plenty of media space. As much as you can get That's the job of your union. When I was in a union, I was very vigorous in demanding that it represented my interests with any resources at its disposal.

My point is simply that when you mix "Safety Issues" and "Industrial Issues" in the same story, you lose your public, you lose your regulators, and you lose your battle.

Of course you should raise Industrial Issues. That's what unions are for. And of course you should raise safety issues: you are the only ones who can.

But never, ever, risk presenting an Industrial Issue as, or intermingled with, a safety issue. Because the moment you do that, you lose your credibility. Your "brand image", of you like. And that's your only weapon, so try NOT to misplace it!