PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bahrain, Saudi Arabia & Iran
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2011, 05:12
50+Ray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORAC may I just make a minor comment on your opening post?
The recently published census for Bahrain gave a total population of approx 1.1 million. Of this figure more than 50% are expats, the majority being from South Asia doing all the manual work.
The reporting of last week's events here has been rightly criticized for gross innaccuracy. BBC, Sky, CNN, & Jazeera made it seem a dangerous place. I can truthfully say that nothing in the past two weeks has prevented my going about my life in the normal way, with the exception of a certain amount of traffic chaos (not unheard of in this part of the world).
The local press works fairly well within it's limitaions. Pro government activities will fill the first three pages, and anti government the next couple. Numbers given for those attending demos should be treated with some scepticism.
The last time I drove past Pearl roundabout - which never could be described as a central Manama square - the atmosphere was more carnival than riot.
i am not qualified to comment on wider political aspects, but there has been much more anti-social activity in the past - tyre burning in the streets etc.
Ray