PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DeltaConnection carriers file a petition for one list
Old 1st Aug 2000, 22:57
Holodek7

Unhappy

Peter...
If you will look,you will see that I addressed my post to you and Airbubba.Sorry for that, but as you can see I have few posts,and typing skills to boot.It was easier for me to address to both of you,because of your 'like-minded' vitriol.
My post was not meant to be a point by point rebuttal as much as a desire to find out the nature of your opposition while advancing my thoughts on why it would be good.

I'm neither DAL,ASA,or Comair, so I really know little about their wages and work conditions.I agree with the ideal that in 'order to preserve the profession'the regionals should have looked in the mirror first and made a bigger effort to improve their own lot, but the reality is that will only happen during economic down cycles, with no hiring.During a boom cycle,people vote with their feet instead of the strike ballot.Particularly if the company(s) involved are generally viewed as only a 'stepping-stone' by a large portion (read junior or low years of service) of their membership.This won't change.

If you don't take the opportunity to fix this now, it will be like wiping your ass with a hula-hoop...'The sh*t never quits!'.You will always be fighting over scope issues.Your negotiating team will have to waste time on this every contract.

My point?...Instead of looking at why you DON'T want it to happen (windfall gains etc),why not try to see the advantages in it, especially, long-term.Comair and ASA (because of their young workforce) need the stability and strength of the DAL group to help them help themselves.All will benefit(think longterm).

There are many ways to integrate a list, and surely one can be found to meet the needs of all (and certainly not affecting the current DAL list a bit!).
CHEERS!