PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot crash-lands, swims in croc-infested river
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 23:26
I spy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"
I Spy. Seeing as the aircraft, which it seems was a C210, was landed on a mud flat which soon became flooded by the changing tide it is probable that it made a "wheels up" landing to minimize the chances of nosing over and finishing up inverted. That, I would suggest, was both a Forced Landing and a Crash Landing. Either way, your comment was unwarranted. The author of the story reprinted used the heading Pilot crash lands, swims in croc infested river. Within the body of the story she reports that the aircraft made an emergency landing, which indeed the pilot did do following an engine failure."

I was just alluding to the ever-present media beat-up about "Crash landings". Putting a plane down in a paddock after an engine failure, with no damage to plane or pax is invariably referred to as a "Crash landing".
The article does mention an emergency landing, so why didn't the headline read as such? Because it doesn't sell.