PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BK GA Lane
Thread: BK GA Lane
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2002, 11:40
375ml

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a SY Radar guy...

Interesting thread. I've got a couple of cents to throw in (of course).

Design of lane: number of LOE-related CTA violations has dropped markedly since the corner of the Richmond CTR had a trim a few years back, and the lanes redesigned. It isn't really possible to take any more off the RIC CTR because the 28 ILS starts just to the west of round corner. Maybe a low-level VFR route underneath the glide slope??? Perhaps not.

Discrete Frequency: I'd be a liar to say the LOE position broadcasts by new/unfamiliar pilots or those that love others hearing the sound of their voice aren't damn annoying, especially with the amount of ground-ground coordination required by Radar/Terminal. A separate frequency would be a godsend. But the IFRs using the lane appreciate the radar traffic service provided and that of course is not available in MBZ/CTAF. Not only that, but we'd have a lot more traffic to pass to multiple IFRs going through the MBZ/CTAF (think IFR taxing and BK for the north, IFR inbound from the north.... procedural requirements for passing traffic versus radar observed traffic).

Situational awareness: This applies to the SY Radar as well as pilots. Don't forget the LOE is also used for airwork eg road traffic spotters doing all sorts of random maneouvres over the lanes. A quick, concise call is (admittedly) valuable for all. R/t instruction leaves a lot to be desired.

Gratuitous plug: Come along to SY ATC briefing/ Q+A day at BK on (edit: DATE TBA) For all pilots from trainee VFR to professional IFR. Everything you wanted to know about Sydney ATC but were afraid to ask. Not sure about location - check with your friendly school or BAL. I'm still working on getting Airservices to fork out for the beer

Last edited by 375ml; 13th Sep 2002 at 12:45.