PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV waypoint meanings and decodes
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 18:27
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe this is country-specific.

In the UK, for example, many points don't have names, but have identifiers which can be decoded.

Typically, the first two letters are the last two letters of the airport's ICAO code. For the intermediate or final approach fix, this is followed by the runway identifier, then the letter I (intermediate), or F. For example, TE26F is the final approach fix for runway 26 at Exeter (EGTE).

The missed approach point, if it coincides with a runway threshold is, typically coded as RWYxx, e.g. RWY26 for runway 26 at Exeter. If it's not at a runway threshold, it is coded as MAxx, e.g. MA02 for runway 02 at Shoreham.

Points on the missed approach are coded such that the first two letters are the last two letters of the ICAO code, this is followed by the letter M, then a number which I believe indicates the order in which the points are flown over. For example, the first (and only) point on the missed approach for runway 26 at Exeter is TEM01.

The plates I'm refering to can be found here for Exeter and here for Shoreham. I'm not 100% sure that what I've quoted can be applied in 100% of cases in the UK, but it's certainly UK-specific. I don't know if other countries employ similar coding or not. Do you need to know any of this to be able to fly the approach? No - you just follow what the plate tells you to do.

FFF
--------------