PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 10:28
737incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew

I've read couple of threads where pilots were tested on alcohol after some suspicion is raised by security staff, their colleagues or pax, but yesterday my crew was subject of such an RANDOM test by Swedish Police.
Of course we passed the test, but when I questioned policemen under what authority they come on board aircraft to test crew (without an aviation inspector for instance), thy told me it was like that in Sweden. I would like to mention that I did not step of the aircraft, but they came in and asked for permission to enter the flight deck. We told them that we believe aircraft to be extra-territorial to Sweden, but I was not sure, and they insisted so finally I accepted the test.
Let me mention that aircraft/company/crew are outside EU.
Does anybody with better knowledge of ICAO convention and EU laws can tell me if all this was legal or there is a chance not to accept such testing in future. My concerns are not so much with Sweden or EU (I don't drink and fly), but with some third world countries where rule of law is questionable or police is corrupted, equipment may be contaminated etc, and tester shows I did drink even if I did't?